Henry Rosenbaum pilots his balloon at sunset above Gaskins Road. It is rumored there may have been an engagement this evening between his two passengers.
Thomas Jefferson rode past Deep Run Baptist Church on his way from his home, Monticello, outside Charlottesville to the House of Burgesses in Williamsburg. It has sat along Three Chopt Road on a bluff above the stream for which it is named since 1749. Founded in 1742, it was constructed of beams held together with wooden pegs as an Episcopal chapel seven years later. It has continuously served the community since then — including duty as a hospital for wounded soldiers and meeting site for the Marquis de Lafayette during the Revolutionary War. It became a Baptist congregation in 1792. Today it also hosts a mission to Brazilians who have recently moved into the area.